top of page

Hendon 1 : 3 Wealdstone

 Amateur Cup Final

16th April 1966 

Attendance 45,000

Wembley 1966 Program-min.jpg
Hendon FC Amateur Cup 1966-min-Colorized-Enhanced-min (1).jpg

Hendon FC 1966. 


Back Row (left to right): David Shacklock, David Hogwood, John Swannell, Geoff Riddy, David Swain, David Hyde, Bill Fisher.


Front Row (left to right): Laurie Churchill, John Evans, Bobby Cantwell, Roy Sleap, Jimmy Quail, and Mickey Cooper.


Jimmy Quail, a hero of Hendon' s 1960 and 1965 Cup wins missed the 1966 Final after suffering a double leg fracture in the quarter final game against Wycombe Wanderers.



Bobby Childs Amateur Cup 1966-min.jpg
Jim Cooley Amateur Cup 1966-min.jpg

Hendon goalkeeper John Swannell dives at the feet of Wealdstone forward Bobby Childs.

Jim Cooley leading a Wealdstone attack.

Hyde & Dilsworth-min.jpg

Hendon's David Hyde is tackled by Wealdstone's Eddie Dillsworth

Against all odds, Hendon had reached a second consecutive Wembley final despite suffering a crippling catalogue of injuries.Three other players, David Hyde, Roy Drake and Dave Bassett had also suffered leg breaks during the season, skipper Bobby Cantwell had a spell in hospital for a leg operation, Danny Lakey was a long term absentee with a stomach muscle injury and Geoff Riddy had been plagued all season with a serious ankle ligament problem. Hendon’s local rivals Wealdstone were appearing in their first and only Amateur Cup Final having never before managed to do better than reach the last eight despite sixty five years of trying.


The conditions for the final were far from ideal, the match was played in drizzle and a cold wind. April snow and heavy rain on the preceding two days had almost waterlogged the lush Wembley turf.


Hendon took an early lead when centre half Geoff Riddy shot through a ruck of players to beat Bryan Goymer, the Wealdstone goalkeeper.


Wealdstone fought back and just before half time a tentative cross shot from Bobby Childs deceived John Swannell in the Hendon goal for the equaliser.


In the second half Wealdstone gained the upper hand as the Hendon players seemed to tire on the heavy pitch. Bernie Bremer's scrambled goal three minutes from time gave Wealdstone the lead.


Just before the final whistle Bobby Childs scored his second goal, following up after John Swannell had saved well from Hugh Lindsay.

Childs Scores 1-min.jpg
Childs Scores 2-min.jpg

Bobby Childs cross shot deceives John Swannell in the Hendon goal for Wealdstone's first goal.

Bobby Childs scores his second goal, after following up Hugh Lindsay's shot

John Ashworth Amateur Cup 1966-min.jpg

Wealdstone's John Ashworth receives the Amateur Cup from Earl Alexander of Tunis. This was a particularly sweet moment for the Wealdstone captain who, with team mate Hugh Lindsay, had been in the Kingstonian side that lost to Hendon in the 1960 final.

Wealdstone FC Amateur Cup Winners 1966-m

The Wealdstone players celebrate with the Amateur Cup.

Wealdstone FC Lap Of Honour 1966-min.jpg
Bobby Childs Bath-min.jpg

The Wealdstone team led by Hugh Lindsay, John Ashworth and Jim Cooley on their victorious lap of honour.


Wealdstone captain John Ashworth obviously knew a good thing when he saw one and promptly joined Hendon at the start of the next season. 

Two goal hero Bobby Childs takes a post match bath with the Amateur Cup.


Bobby Childs joined Hendon in 1971 and won his second Amateur Cup winner's medal with them in 1972.


Wealdstone FC. Amateur Cup Winners 1966

This was Wealdstone FC's second Wembley win. They had beaten RAF Uxbridge 5 - 2 in a wartime Middlesex Red Cross Cup final here in 1942. They would return in 1985 to claim the FA Trophy with a 2 - 1 win over Boston United to maintain their 100% record at the old stadium.

Movietone News coverage of the 1966 Amateur Cup Final. 

bottom of page