top of page

Hendon 3 : 1 Whitby Town

Amateur Cup Final

24th April 1965

Attendance 45,000 

Program 1965-min.jpg

Hendon FC 1965. 


Standing (left to right): George Rocknean, Peter Slade, Geoff Riddy, John Swannell, Roy Sleap, David Hogwood, John Evans. Seated (left to right): Roy Drake, David Hyde, Bobby Cantwell, Jimmy Quail and Danny Lakey. 


Hendon were very much the favourites to win the 1965 final. Described by a Tyne Tees television commentator as "the flash boys of southern football", the Hendon team was enjoying the most successful season in the club's history and contained five international players. John Swannell, Roy Sleap and David Hyde had all represented England, John Evans played for Wales and Jimmy Quail had been capped for Northern Ireland. 


Whitby were considered the underdogs, with a playing squad of only fourteen players and their star striker unavailable due to an injury suffered in the quarter final against Harwich & Parkeston. Whitby had however triumphed over a strong Enfield side in the semi final so were not to be underestimated. 

A happy band of Hendon supporters on their way to Wembley

Ron Burgess the Manager of Hendon and Alan Brown the Secretary and Manager of Whitby, proudly lead their teams out at Wembley

Hendon Fans-min.jpg
Teams small-min.jpg
Captains 1965 small.jpeg-min.jpg

Hendon captain Bobby Cantwell and Whitby captain Eddie Barker before the game with match referee George McCabe


Whitby suffered an early blow in the final when after only eight minutes, winger Maurice Crosthwaite injured his knee which left him struggling for the rest of the match. After this setback, Whitby were forced into playing a defensive game based on an offside trap into which the Hendon forwards would fall no less than twenty two times during the match. The Whitby defense held firm throughout the goalless first half.

Peter Slade Wembley 1965-min.jpg

At half time, Hendon coach Ron Burgess ordered a change of tactics to beat the offside trap telling Peter Slade "to pull back with the ball each time he got it". Three minutes after the restart, Peter Slade duly obliged, heading skipper Bobby Cantwell's far post cross back for David Hyde to open the scoring from the edge of the six yard box.

Hendon's Peter Slade in action flanked by Whitby's John Durnall and Alan Kennerley.

64-65_Hyde Scores-min.jpg

David Hyde opens the scoring for Hendon

Jimmy Quail Scores Wembley 1965-min.jpg
Jimmy Mulvaney Scores Wembley 1965-min.j

Hendon now seemed to have the game completely under their control with wing halves John Evans and Bobby Cantwell dominating the middle of the field. In the 57th minute, Whitby goalkeeper Neville Pybus could only parry Roy Drake's powerful right wing cross to Jimmy Quail who slammed the ball into the roof of the net for Hendon's second goal.

With the game slipping away from them Whitby switched to attack with Alan Kennerley moving up field to change the whole pattern of play. Within three minutes Whitby were right back in it, as some slick passing by Barrie Geldart and Roy Edwards presented Jimmy Mulvaney with a goal scoring opportunity from eight yards out and his well placed shot eluded David Hogwood on the Hendon goal line with John Evans and Geoff Riddy looking on helplessly.

David Hyde Scores Again Wembley 1965-min
Hendon_1965_2        -min.jpg

Both sides continued to produce scintillating attacking football with chances at both ends until late in the game when Jimmy Quail's precision pass sent David Hyde clean through to round the goalkeeper and score his second goal and seal the game for Hendon.

Captain Bobby Cantwell and the Hendon players celebrate with the Amateur Cup. This was Bobby Cantwell's third appearance in the final, having previously been on the losing side with Barnet and Enfield. He would return to Wembley once again with Hendon in 1966.

Running Round Wembley 1965-Restored-min.jpg
Champagne 1965-min.jpg

Hendon Captain Bobby Cantwell and Jimmy Quail running round Wembley with the Cup with Geoff Riddy, Peter Slade and Roy Sleap following behind.

A champagne and cigar moment for the Mayor of Barnet as he celebrates with Hendon Captain Bobby Cantwell and members of the Hendon FC Supporters Association Committee at a reception for the club at Hendon Town Hall.

Team 1965 small.jpeg-min.jpg

The 1964/65 season was the most successful in Hendon's history. As well as winning the Amateur Cup they won the Isthmian League title for the first time and also the Middlesex Senior Cup. The reserve side also won three trophies to secure a famous "double treble".


Although they had lost this time, gallant Whitby Town would return to Wembley in 1997, to win the FA Vase 3 - 0 against North Ferriby United.  

Cardboard Hat-min.jpg

Tyne Tees TV coverage of the 1965 Amateur Cup Final.

bottom of page